Saturday, June 5, 2010

well, scratch that

Didn't trigger. Cycle canceled. I'm in the hospital instead.

Of course things were just going too good to be true. Par for the course.

I've been having horrific pain in my upper abdomen/upper back since Wednesday afternoon. Finally on Friday, after being at work for about an hour, I couldn't take it any more. I called The Coach and he took me to the campus clinic. They immediately referred me to the ER, thinking my gallbladder was the culprit. Thankfully the clinic called the ER to let them know I was coming and it was serious so I got in immediately because there was no way I could physically sit in the ER for any amount of time. Way too painful.

I had tons of blood work done, an ultrasound of my tummy and a CT Scan. The u/s showed some gallstones but no blockage or issues with the organ. CT Scan showed a great looking liver, pancreas and kidneys. I was told I could go home, trigger and do the IUI. 5 minutes later the ER doc came back and said the last of my blood work had come in and my liver enzymes were extremely elevated and I needed to be admitted. They called my RE and she said absolutely no IUI. So after spending 9+ hours in the ER I finally got a room at about 9:30 last night. I still don't have a diagnosis. My internist can't figure out why I'm having this pain. She said if the pain doesn't tapper off--which it hasn't yet--, she would likely set me up for a surgical consult before releasing me.

I was given tons of morphine and lots anti-nausea meds and put on a clear liquid diet. I haven't had (and kept down) any food since breakfast on Wednesday. I didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night, typical hospital stuff, and had another blood draw at 5am. My internist spoke with me about the results, saying my levels are normalizing but are still no where close to being normal. She said I'd be in the hospital until Sunday afternoon at least.

Now, be jealous..breakfast was a cup of lemonade, a cup of apple juice and a Sprite. Lunch was a cup of broth, Sprite and a Popsicle. I know you are just drooling. Luckily I don't have much of an appetite so it doesn't bother me when The Coach comes up to my room with a bag full of greasy cheeseburgers and fries from Checkers. But I just asked my nurse if I could try a full liquid diet for dinner (instead of the clear liquid) and she said she'd page my doctor to see. I'm hoping so! Some oatmeal or pudding sounds really, really good.

And right now I'm absolutely exhausted so I'm signing off. To say I'm crushed about canceling our "perfect cycle" is putting it lightly. I'm thinking it may be a sign....I was healthy as a horse for the 7 months of our break and 5 days prior to our IUI, I land my ass in the hospital. Hmm...seems to me that's a sign if there ever was one...

No comments:

Post a Comment