Wednesday, September 29, 2010

$1600 for 6 days

That's the price of my new medication! My RE decided to add 150iu of Menopur to go along with my 150iu of Follistim for this IUI. Thankfully I have prescription coverage for Menopur (as well as for Follistim--a co-pay of $100 for each med). My insurance coverage is very spotty and strange..I have zero treatment coverage and lots of medications are not covered (progesterone, the trigger, ect.) but for some reason, Follistim and Menopur are. Those two meds alone, for 6 days of use, add up to over $3000. Insane. When the pharmacy rep told me I only had to pay the co-pay, I told her she made my day.

During our meeting my RE agreed (obviously) that we need to switch something up and thinks the Menopur may do the trick. Me? I'm not convinced. I'm a little more optimistic about this cycle than I was yesterday but still not optimistic enough to believe in this. We also discussed future treatment plans. If this IUI doesn't work my RE wants to do a lap to check for scar tissue. Essentially, in the past 5 years, I've had three surgeries on my ovaries (to remove cysts), a surgery to remove a uterine mass and surgery to remove my gallbladder. So the chances of having some scar tissue are very good. Whether or not that scar tissue is causing problems in terms of achieving pregnancy, we just don't know. My RE even suggested that we could put this cycle off and I could have my lap either this Friday or next Friday. While I'm ok with having my 6th surgery in 5 years, I'm not ready for it right now. So I asked to move forward with this cycle.

So that's where we are. We are switching up the game plan...we have a new strategy...a new plan of attack. Maybe, just maybe, our strategizing will pay off.

1 comment:

  1. I don't normally comment, but I read all of your posts. I am rooting for you big time. I hope this is it for you guys!

    ReplyDelete